South of the Border Tortilla Soup Recipe
You Will Also Need
- South of the Border Tortilla Soup Mix
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Water
- 2 or 3 cups of Shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1216 oz Salsa
- Optional Garnish
- 4 oz tortilla chips, crumbled, or tortilla strips
Here's What You Do
- In a 4-qt pot bring broth and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and stir in soup mix, chicken and salsa.
- Return to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Serve as is, or with tortilla chips on top!
Our amazing top seller mix is delicious even without the chicken!
You Will Also Need:
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (48 oz.)
- 1 jar (12-16 oz.) salsa (choose mild, medium or hot)
- 1 can (14 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed.
- Garnish: 4 oz. tortilla chips, crumbled, or tortilla strips
- Optional: 1 can (14 oz.) of Hominy for authentic Mexican addition and a thicker soup
Here’s What You Do:
- In a 4-quart pot, heat oil and sauté the sweet potato for 3 minutes.
- Bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in mix. Add salsa and broth.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add black beans for 5 minutes. Add hominy, if desired.
- Serve as is, or crumble chips into bowls and pour hot soup on top!
We do not recommend using a slow cooker due to the short cooking time on the stovetop.
We do not recommend using a pressure cooker due to the short cooking time on the stovetop.
Optional garnishes of chopped fresh cilantro, diced fresh avocado or thin slices of fresh lime make a festive presentation! Shrimp can be used as an addition instead of chicken for a delicious shrimp tortilla soup! Use 1 lb peeled and deveined or frozen baby shrimp. Add for last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Cooking & Nutrition Tips
Remember these are soup-starter mixes, you can’t go wrong! Feel free to omit any of our recommended additions and/or add any of your favorites!
- To boost vegetables, add 1 cup fresh chopped bell peppers with soup mix.
- To give a twist, substitute 1 lb. shrimp for chicken.
- To reduce sodium: use a low-sodium broth, bone broth, or stock.
- For added protein: add a can of your favorite bean (black, chickpea, navy, etc), chicken breast, or other plant-based protein option.
- For added nutrition: look in your fridge/garden and add any vegetables you have on hand!