Ohio Valley Vegetable Soup Recipe
You Will Also Need
- Ohio Valley Vegetable Soup Mix
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 oz Box frozen baby or petite peas
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Optional: Leftover turkey meat, cut up (also add 2 cups water if adding turkey)
Here's What You Do
- In a 4-quart pot, sauté chopped onion oil over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add contents of Ohio Valley Vegetable Soup Mix and toss lightly.
- Add broth and stir, Add cut up chicken or turkey, if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in contents of the pasta packet, and return to a simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and peas, continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes uncovered, and serve this bountiful medley of summer vegetable in any season.
Skip the turkey for this classic vegetable soup.
You Will Also Need:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion chopped (1-2 cups)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth (64 oz.)
- 4 cups diced butternut squash or add one can, drained Cannellini beans
- 1 box frozen or fresh sugar snap peas (10-oz)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Here’s What You Do:
- In a 4-quart pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add contents of soup mix and toss lightly.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add contents of pasta packet and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and peas. Keep on low heat for 3 minutes and serve.
Recommended slow cooker size: 4 quart
Here’s What You Do:
- In a skillet, sauté garlic and oil on low heat for 1 minute. Add vegetable contents of mix and toss lightly.
- Transfer sautéed ingredients to slow cooker. Add broth, turkey and water if desired. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. This soup is better cooked 3-4 hours on HI.
- Turn up heat to HI and add peas, lemon juice and macaroni pasta. Cook 30 minutes and serve.
*This soup takes less than one and a half hours on stove top so the slow cooker does not offer great benefit in this preparation.
We do not have a specific Pressure Cooker recipe for this soup at this time.
We don’t currently have a recipe variation for this soup, please send us yours!
Cooking & Nutrition Tips
Remember these are soup-starter mixes, you can’t go wrong! Feel free to omit any of our recommended additions and/or add any of your favorites!
- To boost vegetables, add 1 1/2 cups yellow summer squash and/or 1 1/2 cups celery with pasta for the final ten minutes of cooking.
- To reduce sodium: use a low-sodium broth, bone broth, or stock.
- For added protein: add a can of your favorite bean (black, chickpea, navy, etc), chicken breast, or other plant-based protein option.
- For added nutrition: look in your fridge/garden and add any vegetables you have on hand!