No one wants to cook breakfast after opening presents on Christmas morning. Wouldn't it be nice to relax with the family instead? Make Christmas morning easy and fun by making breakfast the night before with our Cranberry Cornbread and Sausage Recipe.
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage patties or bulk sausage
- 14 ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 package Appalachian Trail Cornbread Mix or if you prefer it a little spicier, Santa Fe Trail Cornbread Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crumble and brown sausage in skillet over medium heat. Use a metal spatula to break up chunks.
- Remove from skillet and spread in bottom of 8 x 8 baking pan, pyrex or other.
- In medium bowl blend together cornbread mix, buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
- Stir and spread about one cup of batter into the sausage.
- Spread cranberry on top of sausage layer.
- Spread remaining batter over all.
- Place baking pan in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Test for doneness of cornbread, cut in squares and serve!
To plan ahead for morning breakfast, prepare the sausage and place in 8 x 8 pan the night before. Cover and refrigerate. Next morning prepare batter and follow directions above. Bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees.