We used to produce a mix called Carolina Springtime Asparagus Lemon soup mix but the freeze dried asparagus that was the main ingredient in that mix came in to us as in inconsistent product. Sometimes it was tender and delish but other times it was woody and not tasty.
We had to abandon the product as it did not meet our standards for quality, however, spring is a great time of year for asparagus as well as peas and we've combined them in the following recipe.
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tablespoons from Frontier Soups Lemony Dill Dip Mix
- 2 leeks, white part only, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 12 ounce package frozen or fresh peas
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- Bring broth to a simmer in 2 or 3-quart pot.
- Add Lemony Dill seasonings and leeks. Simmer 5 minutes covered.
- Add peas and simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Using a hand immersion blender or a food processor, puree the soup and return it to the pot.
- Snap off the ends of the fresh asparagus and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the asparagus and simmer 10 minutes covered.
- Serve as is or with a drizzle of cream on top of each serving.